Back • Return Home
Works From Others
Free and legal! stuff is marked with a -$
I usually read non-fiction, but there are a handful of fiction stories that I have enjoyed very much, a couple of them having been written by friends...
• Robert Campbell - Escape From Purgatory [$6.00]
• Bradley Smith - Remnants of Light [$2.99]
• Marie Corelli - A Romance of Two Worlds -$
There is also a free audiobook of this one.
Short Stories -$
• Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon (Original Version)
• Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes Collection
• Kate Gleeson - Wonderful You
• Nick Bantock - Averse To Beasts (23 Reasonless Rhymes)
• Christina Rossetti - The Skylark
• Christina Rossetti - A Birthday
• Emily Dickinson - The Brain Is Wider Than The Sky
• Ralph Waldo Emerson - The Rhodora
• John Godfrey Saxe - The Blind Man And The Elephant
• William Blake - The Tyger
• William Blake - Auguries of Innocence
• Thomas Traherne - Innocence
You might also enjoy his Centuries of Meditations.
Graphic Novels / Comic Books
Comics are an interesting medium. They are like the story of a novel fused to the cinematography of a a film, or the synthesis of screenplay and storyboard. Art and writing can be combined in a way that is complementary, conveying more than either can alone...
• David Mack - Kabuki: The Alchemy
• Terry Moore - Strangers In Paradise
• Usamaru Furuya - Genkaku Picasso [lit. "Hallucinatory Picasso", or in Japanese, 幻覚ピカソ]
• Tsugumi Ohba & Takeshi Obata - Death Note [or in Japanese, デスノート]
Movies (w/ Ratings)
I stopped going to the cinema long ago, but there are still quite a few movies that I think are wonderful in some way...
• The Swan Princess (G)
• Chicken Run (G)
• Freaky Friday (G)
The one from 1976, not the newer one
• Mr. Bean's Holiday (G)
• The Red Balloon [or in French, Le ballon rouge] (NR, probably G?)
• Jack and the Beanstalk (NR, maybe PG?)
The Abbott and Costello film
• Somewhere In Time (PG)
• The Day of the Dolphin (PG)
• Ernest Scared Stupid (PG)
• Atlantis: The Lost Empire (PG)
• Castle in the Sky [or in Japanese, 天空の城ラピュタ] (PG)
• To Sir, With Love (NR?, probably PG)
• Children of Heaven [or in Persian, بچههای آسمان] (PG)
• Matilda (PG)
• Undercover Kitty [or in Dutch, Minoes] (NR, but again, probably PG)
• Nacho Libre (PG)
• To Kill A Mockingbird (NR)
• Ping Pong [or in Japanese, ピンポン] (NR)
• Stargate (PG-13)
• The Fifth Element (PG-13)
• School of Rock (PG-13)
• Finding Forrester (PG-13)
• Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson [or in Russian, Шерлок Холмс и доктор Ватсон] (PG-13?) -$
• What Dreams May Come (PG-13)
• Good Will Hunting (R)
• Waking Life (R)
• Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (R)
• The Matrix (R)
• Run Lola Run (R)
• Returner [or in Japanese, リターナー] (R)
• The Green Mile (R)
Shows / Cartoons
Like the movies, I stopped watching television long ago, but here are some favorites...
• Star Trek: The Next Generation
• Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
• Proposal Daisakusen [lit. "Grand Proposal Strategy", or in Japanese, プロポーズ大作戦]
• The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
The television series that first aired on the BBC
• The Lost Room
• Noragami [lit. "Stray God", or in Japanese, ノラガミ]
• Bakuman [or in Japanese, バクマン。]
• Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood [or in Japanese, 鋼の錬金術師]
Not to be confused with the first series that is just called "Fullmetal Alchemist"
Only the first two seasons
• The Pretender
The ending, or lack thereof, was disappointing though.
• That Love Comes [also known as "Welcome Love", or in Mandarin Chinese, 欢迎爱光临]
• No Game, No Life [or in Japanese, ノーゲーム・ノーライフ]
I could do without all of the sexual jokes, but the general idea is amazing!
• Hey Arnold!
• Angry Beavers
• Beakman's World
• Bill Nye The Science Guy
• Sherlock Holmes -$
One from 1954, not the newer BBC one
Like comics and cartoons, video games are often treated as if they are "immature" mediums (in contradistinction to the "maturity" of novels and movies). However, all of them have a huge potential for storytelling. Although I don't really play that much now, my childhood was filled with video games...
• Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The original one -$...I haven't played the new one
• The Adventures of Lolo (1, 2, and 3)