The author presents a model which describes the stages of courtship leading up to marriage. From the back of the book we find that she identifies these stages in the following way:
1) SELECTION - When you actively or passively choose a partner.
2) SEDUCTION - The dating days when you and your partner decide if the relationship is romantic, platonic, or dead.
3) SWITCH - That uncomfortable period when the pursuer backs off just as the partner responds.
4) NEGOTIATION - When you both acknowledge your differences and try to find a decent way to fight about them.
5) COMMITMENT - The negotiation to marriage.
There are several other books here that share a similar premise: